Merry Christmas from Dr. Nick’s Team! We hope you have a great day with your family, friends, and loved ones.
It’s hard not to eat all the Christmas goodies. To avoid having a dental emergency this holiday season, we’ve got some treats you can indulge in without feeling guilty.
- First, don’t eat candy canes. Opt for sugar-free peppermint patties or dairy and sugar-free peppermint fudge. Wash all that down with peppermint tea!
- Secondly, gingerbread tends to have less sugar than other types of cookies and cakes. Try baking actual gingerbread because then YOU control how much sugar goes into it.
- Thirdly, cheese raises the pH levels in our mouths, lowering the risk of tooth decay. It also contains calcium and protein, both of which strengthen teeth. Go ahead and have an extra piece on that cheese platter!
- Finally, almonds. These are a good source of calcium and protein (which, again, helps to strengthen teeth) but are also low in sugar.
If you’re experiencing tooth sensitivity,
- Use fluoride. It’s a natural mineral that a dentist can apply to your sensitive teeth that strengthens the enamel a prevents sensitivity because of exposed dentin.
- Cover your root surfaces.
- Wear your mouth guard.
Merry Christmas! Now, Visit Your Dentist
Here are three big reasons why the whole family should visit the dentist over winter break.
- First, it’s winter break. Did we already mention that? The kids are home! You don’t even have to book that 8 a.m. appointment so they can still sleep in. Let them know that after their dental checkup, they’ll be rewarded for doing such a great job!
- Secondly, take care of your teeth. Dentists encourage two appointments each year. This gives your dentist the opportunity to make sure your oral health is in perfect shape. Your dentist will also be able to compare your child’s last visit to this one to make sure they’re doing a good job.
- Thirdly, holidays mean more sweets. Candy canes can fracture your teeth and the stickiness is even worse. Don’t let your teeth suffer from all the sugar intake. Make an appointment so that you have a pearly white as snow smile!
Schedule an appointment by calling 813.445.7162!