It’s the 75th anniversary of the community water fluoridation. So, it’s only important for that to be the theme of National Children’s Dental Health Month.
According to the American Dental Association, the theme is “Fluoride in water prevents cavities! Get it from the tap!”
The month-long health observance brings together dental professionals, health care providers and other to promote good oral care to children.
Help Your Kids Brush Their Teeth
- First, set an example. Brush your teeth in front of your kids with a good technique for at least 2 minutes. The more often they see you brushing your teeth, the more likely they are to imitate you.
- Second, make it fun. Brushing doesn’t have to be a struggle. Use the apps on your phone or tablet with songs and games to help them brush daily.
- Thirdly, let them pick. There are tons of different brushes and toothpastes available in the market for kids. Let your children select their toothbrush and toothpaste of preference.
Tips for Managing Your Kid’s Dental Anxiety
- Start dental visits at an early age – The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that a child go to the dentist by age 1 or within six months after the first tooth erupts. It is important to start dental visits at an early stage to establish a familiar pattern and make your child more comfortable at the dentist.
- Play dentist at home – Before taking your child to a dental appointment, it can be beneficial to practice being a dental patient. Pretend you are the dentist and examine their mouth and clean their teeth. They can also pretend they are the dentist too and play with stuffed animals. This will teach your children the importance of oral care and will help them get familiarized with the dental checkup process.
- Read Dental Story Books to your Kids – Dental story books are great at illustrating a dental experience for kids. They are a good way to help reduce the fear of visiting the dentist.
In conclusion, regular dental visits are important. Take care of your kid’s during National Children’s Dental Health Month by scheduling an appointment at Dr. Nick’s!