You may or may not have heard of it but, it’s National Pigs in a Blanket Day. These are hot dog weenies (pigs) wrapped in a crescent roll (like a blanket). Unfortunately, they’re not the greatest for your oral health.
Eating Pigs in a Blanket
Some like to use dipping sauces or add side dishes. Keep caution with,
- BBQ sauce and other condiments. First off, all the sugars and vinegar in sauces can damage the enamel on your teeth.
- Chips. Keep floss and toothpicks handy.
- White bread. Do NOT wrap your hot dogs on a white bun.
- Pickled veggies. Vinegar and brine damage your teeth.
- Soda. Finally, sodas and juices are full of sugar. Consider drinking a cool glass of water instead.
Good Foods for National Pigs in a Blanket
- Instead of chips, have fruits and veggies for sides.
- Do you like cheese on your hot dog? Cheese and other dairy products are good for your teeth’s health.
- Onions help neutralize oral bacteria.
- Chew sugarless gum after your meal.
- Ginger helps you get over any indigestion.
Schedule Cleanings When You Can
It’s recommended that you brush at least twice a day, the right way. Clean your teeth out with a soft-bristled toothbrush before bedtime. This removes any sticky starch.
Use an anti-bacterial mouthwash to protect from your plaque and schedule your annual dental exams. Visit your local dentist at least two times a year.
If you don’t have the ability to visit the dentist due to no insurance, our sister company, Argus Dental & Vision, offers dental insurance! Argus plans are convenient, affordable and easy to use. Our network of partnering providers continues to grow at a rapid rate and currently offers members their choice of dentists from over 100,000 combinations of partnering general and specialty locations.