Happy World Smile Day! Did you know that Harvey Ball created the legendary smiley face back in 1963? It’s one of the most recognizable symbols on the planet.
Ball declared that the first Friday in October each year would be World Smile Day. It’s a special day where people you should smile or help make someone smile. Do a random act of kindness for someone to make their day.
How to Improve Your Smile
Smiling is contagious. If you’re looking to improve your smile or help others, here are some easy things you can do:
- First, floss daily. Flossing helps removes plaque between your teeth and under the gum lines. Not sure how to floss? Wrap it tightly around your finger and insert in the space between your teeth. Gently slide it up and down under the gum lines a couple times. If bleeding occurs, this is most likely due to gingivitis or gum disease.
- Secondly, have routine cleanings twice a year.
- Thirdly, stop smoking. Smoking causes your teeth to stain.
- Fourth, limit your coffee, tea and red wine intake. Just like smoking, these drinks stain your teeth. Drinking through a straw will help reduce staining.
- Fifth, drink water. Water helps clean teeth and fights too decay.
- Finally, brush your teeth twice daily. Many people need to be reminded to brush their teeth at least twice a day. Plaque can harden into tartar. Frequent brushing keeps your teeth healthy.
How You Can Celebrate World Smile Day
- First, your face has a TON of muscles in it that allow you to make different emotions. When you’re happy and smiling, your body pumps out good endorphins. An article from the Smithsonian even stated that “smiles causes our bodies to produce psychological changes that reflect the emotion.”
- Second, make someone else smile! Smiles are contagious.
- Third, make a list of things that make you smile.
- Fourth, have a smile off with your family. Who can hold their smile the longest?
- Fifth, smile at yourself in the mirror. Sure, you don’t want to go to work or school, but starting off the day with a smile can easily change your mood.
- Sixth, smiling makes you more attractive. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, “96 percent of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing.”
- Finally, take care of your smile with proper teeth brushing, flossing, and seeing your dentist twice a year.
If you have any questions, contact Dr. Nick’s WHITE & healthy at 813.445.7162.