Here are some facts that you may not know.
- Saliva not only lubricates the mouth, it also helps protect teeth and gums.
- The salivary glands in our mouth produce on average a quart of liquid a day. That’s enough to fill two medium-size bathtubs a year!
- Food molecules must dissolve in saliva to be recognized by taste buds.
- Saliva production can decrease if you get nervous or frightened, take specific medications, or have certain medical conditions.
- Saliva helps wounds in the mouth heal faster in comparison with wounds elsewhere on the body.